|The first settlements of Lynnville were made on Lynn Creek and Robertson Fork Creek. John Laird came in December 1809 and settled a half mile north of Old Lynnville (Waco). He built a brick home which is still being used, a store, and a grist mill. In 1811, he built the first cotton gin run by water power in North Giles County.|
Lynnville got its name from Lynn Creek which had been named for the linden or linn trees which grew along its bank. Old Lynnville (Waco) was laid off on Lynn Creek about 1810. It was on the old stagecoach pike which connected Nashville, Tennessee, and Decatur, Alabama.
Just before the Civil War, Old Lynnville was quite a flourishing little town. Much of the town was burned and destroyed during the Civil War by guerillas. A portion of the 16th Union Army Corps was stationed at Lynnville where earthworks were thrown up on east hill, rifle pits, and elevations for cannons can still be easily traced. Hood's army, protected by Forrest's cavalry, passed through Lynnville on its retreat south after the Battle of Franklin.
In 1860, the Central-Southern Railroad was completed just one mile east of Old Lynnville. The old town began to move to the railroad and a new town was begun. On February 14, 1907, New Lynnville was incorporated. Today, Lynnville serves as one of the most historical areas in Giles County with a population of 345. The new Lynnville Railroad Museum, featuring a completely restored depot, adds historic charm to the downtown area. An antique steam locomotive, coach, flat car and caboose complete the area's premier tourist attraction.
"Working for Your Business"
GILES COUNTY CHAMBER OF COMMERCE
110 North Second St.
Pulaski, TN 38478
(Ph) 931-363-3789 (Fax) 931-363-7279